I’ve got the Monday morning blues … and rock and folk and more …
Some of the music that is on high rotation on my iTunes jukebox this Monday morning … might just turn this into a weekly series.
- Light A Candle – Neil Young off ‘Fork In The Road’ great song off his impressive new album
- Climb Up On My Music – Rodriguez from ‘Coming From Reality’ (known as ‘After The Fact’ in SA) This follow up to ‘Cold Fact’ gets a US re-issue for the first time. This opening track features UK guitarist Chris Spedding, who also played on Mike Batt’s ‘Schizophonia’ (remember ‘Ride To Agadir’?) and had a solo hit with ‘Motorbiking’ (UK #14 in 1975).
- Stargazer (live 1976) – Rainbow off ‘Rainbow On Stage’ 16 minute plus bonus track on the re-issue of this classic album from 1977.
- Nantucket Sleighride (live 1973) – Mountain off ‘Twin Peaks’ long (very long, 31 minutes!) track from Leslie West and friends.
- Hallelujah – Alexandra Burke off ‘Now 72’ X-Factor winner’s UK Christmas number one hit. Powerful cover of the Leonard Cohen song.
- Love Etc – Pet Shop Boys off ‘Yes’ These guys are still going, and going well by the look of things. No relation to Sugardrive’s album of the same title from 2004.
- Road – Sugardrive off ‘In A Place (That Takes Getting Used To)‘ Speaking of Sugardrive, my favourite song of theirs recently appeared on their retrospective collection. Makes me want to get back on the road again.
- Highway 13 – Jack Hammer off ‘Highway 13‘ And this is the road I want to be on.
- Waterloo Sunset – David Bowie off ‘Never Get Old’ [2003 CD single] Cover of The Kinks hit given the Bowie treatment, and what a treat it is.
- Pictures At An Exhibition (live at the Isle Of Wight, 29 August 1970) – Emerson, Lake and Palmer off ‘Pictures At An Exhibiton (Deluxe Re-issue) 35 minute bonus track from the re-issue of one of my all-time favourite ELP albums.
- Rainbow Blues – Jethro Tull off ‘War Child’ (re-issue) great obscure Tull song recorded in 1974. Look out for the cover version by Blackmore’s Night as well.
- Poster Princess – Jet Black Stare off ‘In This Life’ impressive debut from these Canadian rockers. Similar to SA’s own Toxic Shame.
- Babydoll Blues – The Ragdolls from ‘Listen Up Babydoll‘ female-fronted raunchy, punk rock and roll band from Cape Town. Gotta love them.